We, at MM&G, are committed to protecting your privacy and the integrity of your personal information by dealing with it in a lawful, legitimate and responsible manner. This policy sets out how we acquire, use, retain and disclose your personal information, as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act (referred to as PoPI).
What is Personal Information?
In terms of PoPI, Personal Information is defined as: information relating to a natural/juristic person, including, but not limited to:
- information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, email address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person.
Purpose of collecting your Personal Information
As an insurance broker your personal information may be collected by us for the following reasons, some of which are mandatory:
- to conduct a Needs Analysis to ensure the best product suits you and is offered to you.
- process quotations and policy applications;
- administering your policy;
- underwriting and claims purposes;
- to provide you with access to our products and services, in relation to your policy;
- to help us improve our offerings to you;
- to confirm and verify your identity
- for the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- to conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- for audit and record-keeping purposes;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or industry codes to which we subscribe or which apply to us, or when it is otherwise allowed by law.
The type of information we collect shall depend on the purpose for which it is collected and used. We shall only collect information that we need for that particular purpose and no more than necessary.
Information shall be collected directly from yourself, however, we may also collect information about you from other sources, with or without your consent. We may collect information about you from sources which are publicly available, such as electoral roll, court judgements, bankruptcy or repossessions.
Website usage information is collected using “cookies”, which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
Your personal information is kept confidential, however, under certain circumstances, to ensure the purpose of collection is met, we may lawfully disclose it to the following third parties:
- Service providers
- Insurance association
- Medical and statutory authorities;
- MM&G authorised personnel;
- Court of Law;
- Governmental bodies;
- The regulator.
We may also disclose your personal information, where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes or where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights. The third parties above may sometimes be located outside the Republic of South Africa.
To comply with the terms and provisions of the PoPI Act, we have agreements and security measures in place to ensure that all third parties to whom your personal information is disclosed also comply with the Act. We ensure that third parties fully understand the duties and obligations they become encumbered with, in retaining the privacy and integrity of your personal information.
Protecting your Personal Information
To prevent unauthorised access and use, we are obliged in terms of legislation, to implement measures and strategies to ensure protection of your personal information. We will continuously review our security controls and processes, to ensure that the Personal Information we hold, is secure and includes the following:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract with third parties, we ensure they comply with the appropriate security and privacy conditions and that personal information is secured. We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information, agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection, as we are obliged to and to conform with the PoPI Act.
MM&G has appointed Stephen John Leigh as the Information Officer, whose details are available on our website and as follows:
Name: Stephen John Leigh
Telephone Number: 031 764 5867
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Address: 1st Floor, 6 Abrey Road, Kloof, 3610
Postal Address: PO Box 1051, Kloof, 3640
Access Your Personal Information
You may contact our offices to enquire what personal information we hold for you. Your information will be made available to you, upon request, after reasonable satisfaction, that you have confirmed your identity to us.
Correction of your Personal Information
We are obliged to store information which is accurate and updated. You may update, correct, amend or delete your personal information at any time. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information.
You have the right to address any complaints you may have, regarding your personal information to our complaints department, details of which are available on our website. Alternately you may contact the Personal Information Regulator, details as follows:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
27 Stiemens Street
Tel: 012 406 4818
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za
General enquiries: email@example.com
This notice may be amended from time to time. Kindly view our website periodically to be updated with any changes.
Should you at any point, wish to revoke this consent, kindly contact us and we will gladly assist you.